Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"These are a few of my (unexpectedly) favourite things"

I've learned some things about myself in writing this blog.  First, I'm reminded of my interest in geography, which was the subject of my university degree.  Okay, so I knew I was interested in it back then.  But, Geography, where have you been these last 30-odd years?  It's not so much that I think about geography, because I don't.  But from these posts, it's apparent that I notice it; that it compels me in some way.

The other thing I've learned is that I enjoy writing.  Again, this is old news.  My original intention, when I started at McGill, was to become a writer... re-confirmed later in life when I took a journalism diploma at Sheridan College.  Writing has been the skill I've practiced throughout my working life... so why should it surprise me that in "retirement", I enjoy writing?

But here's what I notice: of the things I do as a newly retired person, writing is one activity wherein I lose all sense of time.  Something arises that I want to say and I write until I'm done, without reference to the time of day or how long it takes.  I can lose myself in the act of writing.

That's a good thing sometimes; it's winter (however balmy); the neighbourhood is quiet; I'm still "making friends" in my new home.  Writing beats alcohol; that much I know for sure!

1 comment: