Monday, February 8, 2010

Erosion

The first picture in this post was taken in mid-January, 10-20 feet from the edge of the cliff at the end of my property that faces onto the Bay of Fundy.  On this particular walk, I was trying to find the trail that the deer take to traverse my property.  I know they stay close to the cliff until they cut up and across my neighbour's property to get to the trees beside it.  There had been quite an interval between snowstorms and some warm temperatures, so much of the snow had melted away.  In fact, the closer I got to the cliff, the less snow there was, so I had no luck finding the deer path.  What I did find was this speckled snow.


PEI is famous for its red rocks and soil, but they extend along the Fundy Coast as well... so the cliff is actually composed of a red rock that I'm guessing is a sandstone (although a couple of properties over, there's basalt in the cliffs, so the geology is rather complicated and beyond my superficial expertise).  The wind blows in off the Bay, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the cliffs are going be constantly eroding, either from the force of the wind or the waves.  What surprised me, however, was how much residue had been deposited in a relatively short time.  The cliff may be eroding, but the land apparently is being built up...

The second picture in the post is from the same walk, taken on the beach a few minutes from my house.  There is a lot of ground water in this area, so where the cliffs would be wet in summer, now they're icey.   Notice that the ice stops short of the beach... which tells you about the reach of the preceding high tides.


Wind, water, ice, red rocks...  nature constantly in motion.

1 comment:

  1. The same red clay soil seems to abound here on the side of the North Mountain in NS as well. Many shots like this occur near Blomidon and along the NS side of the Fundy shore.

    ReplyDelete