Friday, December 18, 2009

Lobster for the family

Dateline: Whitehorse, Yukon.

Oh, I felt like such an expert, smug from having eaten lobster twice inside of two weeks and from having received hands-on, finger-lickin' good, "how to eat lobster" training from my friends Bob and Sue on the eve of my departure for Whitehorse.  Naturally, as a true-blue (brand-new) Bay-of-Fundy-er, I brought home lobster for the family... and passed on everything I've learned so far.

They enjoyed the lobster alright, but the real pleasure was mine, watching them dive right in and seeing the pleasure on their faces.  (And no, the champagne I was drinking -- recommended by Bob and Sue as the beverage of choice to accompany lobster -- had nothing to do with it!)

Lobsters aplenty...


According to Bob, newspaper is de rigeur because eating lobster is such a messy business if you're serious about it.  Also, it's best to remove the elastics from the claws before cooking the lobsters, because they can impart a rubbery taste to the meat.  That can be done by holding the lobster by its body and using a sharp knife; the claws stay safely out of reach of your hand.  (These lobsters were purchased pre-cooked.)

Lined up and ready to eat...


Daughters dig in... or, seestahs doing it for themselves...


Get that thing away from me!


No, really, it won't bite you...


Heaven, I'm in heaven...


Mmmmm...



Love those happy smiling faces!



Dibs on those scraps, muttahf***er!
(See what I mean about the mess?  Good thing we used the newspaper!)



Post-prandial contentment...



Thanks, Cath.  Oh, you're so-o-o-o welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment